Relaxing gas is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Relaxing gas has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Relaxing gas is safe, the patient receives 50-70% oxygen with no less than 30% relaxing gas.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Relaxing Gas
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.